Friday, October 24, 2014

For the Cooks in the House

Nesting has officially hit!!! 7 mo pregnant and I have caught myself staying up til 2 am some nights lately just cooking, cleaning, working, and reading. Better get it all organized before Luke gets here, right?

Well I figured Id share some helpful tips for easy recipes that Ive learned lately. Ill do another post for all my baby mamas on homemade baby yummies. :)

First of all Ive started to follow, on facebook/blog, the page "My Whole Food Life". She posts great crockpot recipes that only require whole foods. Its been an effort of mine to eliminate condensed soups and processed items from our meals. It makes you feel better to not have the added sodium in your diet...not to mention the other junk that is in them. You can ask Emma....our lazy susan cabinet, that was meant for canned food, is pretty much empty now. It takes a little more planning and work, but when you are used to it...its fine.

The first tip I learned is how to make your own condensed soups. Do you ever read these labels? Its not good for you at all! Well I made chicken casserole and made my own condensed soup. It was fabulous! No more Campbells Cream of Chicken for us. Here is the link- http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/condensed-homemade-cream-chicken-soup-recipe/

Now, as for the chicken casserole, I kept two whole chickens in the crockpot for 9 hours...the house smelled divine. I covered them both with water, added a few organic baby carrots and some celery along with salt, pepper, thyme, and celery seed. Once the 9 hours was up, I de-boned the chicken...the least fun part....and had a huge mixing bowl full of yummy chicken!!! I filled a quart bag to freeze, made 16 chicken dinners for Miss E, and made the yummy dinner...all while having 2 qt of chicken stock to freeze!



Recipe for casserole: dice or shred chicken, add to condensed soup (link above) and layer in bottom of 8×8 or round pie pan. (About 3.5 cups chicken). Cook stuffing to directions and add to the top. I mixed a little throughout the chicken too. Cook on 400 for 25-30 min. Yumm!

No comments:

Post a Comment