Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Parenting Manifesto

We are THAT family.
We always were THAT family.

Limited television,  a bell to call you in for dinner-(you better not let it ring twice), saying sorry because its important,  no cussing, no nasty jokes, rarely going to amusement parks or sleep away camps, family was your rock.

Man..now...am I glad it happened that way.

The image still as fresh as yesterday-

A clunky dodge caravan puttering down the road. The fake "wood siding" on it peeled off and flapping in the wind like a windsock. I hunch down as we turn into the parking lot. Brakes squeeking and the motor sounds like a cat -literally- was dying inside it.
There they were..
all of my friends standing in the parking lot waiting. "Ugh, why didn't they go inside??" I thought to myself. I get out with the understanding that I could turn completely invisible if I didn't say a word. Mama yells, "Bye!!!! Have a good day!!!" In her holey Atlanta Braves tshirt. "Welp. There it went" I thought, they've definitely noticed me now, and probably think Im from a trailer park in West Virginia.

Little did I know- they could have cared less.
Little did I know- that part didn't matter to them.
Little did I know- my mom could have driven a corvette *easily* on the amount of money it took to send me to North Hills for 6 years.
Little did I know- my caring about what others thought, wasn't how I was raised. And it shouldnt have been my main concern.
But that's just it- little did I know.

Then flash forward 15 years and I'm the parent.
I'm the one making lasting decisions for, not only one, but two human beings. The level of wisdom (or what you hope is wisdom) rises. It breaks way to an inner beast in you to do what is right above all else. It's now that I realize what a sacrifice private Christian School was for my parents, and I value it like a treasure. They valued the fact that Christ could be the center of my education, and His name was freely spoken.

Recently our church started -July Family Nights- and adults have a choice in a few classes to take. Our choice was the "Culturing your children in faith" class. Its nice, for once, to sit on the other side of the teacher and learn. But it has sparked an interest in my heart to encourage other parents as well. This morning I ran across the Christian Parent Manifesto that a lady created for in her house- its great. Click the link to read her article-

http://wearethatfamily.com/2015/07/the-christian-parent-manifesto/

I'll be posting a recap of our parenting class each week this month, feel free to read it and absorb what God tells us about parenting!

-Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment